This creamy chicken bacon and leek pie is a hearty classic bubbling with homemade goodness
Total Time: 30 min
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 chicken breasts
- half an onion
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- enough milk to cover the chicken pieces
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 5 slices Andreas Meats bacon
- 2 leeks
- 3 heaped tablespoons of flour
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- a little beaten egg and milk
- Parmesan cheese
- Put the chicken breasts in a saucepan and cover with milk, then add the onion, peppercorns and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer partially covered for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and let it cool a bit, then pull apart into plump pieces. Strain the milk and save it.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan while you cut the bacon into small pieces, adding it to the pan as you go. Slice the leeks into roughly 1/3″ pieces, washing the pieces well after cutting them. Drain, then add the leeks to the pan. Cook the bacon and leeks about 15 minutes, stirring periodically. They should be totally soft.
- Stir the flour into the bacon and leeks and cook a few minutes. Then stir in the warm milk, enough to make a thick sauce. Add the chicken pieces, then the mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the filling into a pie pan or square dish. Lay the puff pastry on top and crimp the edges. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and then sprinkle grated Parmesan on top.
- Bake about 35 minutes.
Chicken Breasts –