Make delicious proper sausage rolls with this easy recipe
- Knob of butter
- 4-6 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary and/or sage), finely chopped
- 1 Sleeve Andreas Meats sausage meat
- Splash of white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcester Sauce
- 100g grated cheddar
- 1 block puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- A sprinkle of black onion seeds
- Pinch salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 190c.
- Place a pan on a medium-high heat. Add half the knob of butter & bacon or pancetta rashers. Fry until crispy, remove from the heat, and finely chop.
- Add remaining butter until beginning to bubble. Add chopped onion & fry for 5-8 minutes, until starting to caramelize. Add bacon or pancetta, fresh herbs, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Cook for another 2-3 mins, then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Squeeze the sausage meat into a bowl. Add the vinegar, Worcester sauce, grated cheddar, a good pinch of salt & pepper, and the cooled onion mixture. Mix together well (you may need to get in there with your hands to give it a really good mix!).
- Roll out the puff pastry until thin. With your hands, shape the meat into a line about an inch from the edge of the pastry. Brush beaten egg along the edge, and fold the pastry over the meat. Cut the excess off, and crimp the edges together with your fingers or press with a fork.
- Brush beaten egg over the pastry and sprinkle with black onion seeds.
- Cut sausage rolls into your desired size, and place on a lined baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the mix.
- Cook for 25-30 mins or until golden, sizzling, cooked through and smelling delicious.
We would like to thank Wild Thyme for using our meat to create this recipe. Wild Thyme offer a a bespoke, island-wide catering service which aims to give you complete confidence in the event you are planning. Their specialities include:
- Canapé Parties
- Boardroom Lunches
- Buffet Parties
- Private & Corporate Functions
- Special Occasions
- Private BBQ’s
- Drop-off Buffet’s
- Afternoon Teas
- Christmas Parties
- Private Dinners
- Shoot Lunches
- Staycation Package