Treat yourself to tender, melt-in-the-mouth Pork Belly Bao Bun
- Bao Buns
- 2 Packs of Andreas Meat Co Pork Belly Slices
- 1 Litre Hot Chicken/Veg Stock
- 1tsp Minced Ginger
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
Pork Belly Glaze
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1 tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1 Red Chilli (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Dar Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Lemon Grass Paste
Pork Belly Glaze
- 1 Small Bunch Coriander (roughly torn)
- 2 Red Chillies (sliced into thin strips)
- 4 Spring Onions (sliced into thin strips)
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbsp Toasted Cashew Nuts (chopped)
1. Add all the slow cooked pork belly ingredients to a pan (not the glaze ingredients). I use a cast iron casserole pan. Bring to the boil, then place a lid on, turn down the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Then turn off the heat and drain the pork. You can reserve the liquid if you like (perfect for a Thai or Chinese noodle soup, or broth base for ramen).
2. Chop the pork into bite sized chunks. Add 1 tbsp. of the oil to a frying pan, and then mix the remaining glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Heat the oil and add in the pork, salt and pepper, frying on a high heat until the pork starts to turn golden. Now pour the glaze over the pork and continue to cook until the pork looks dark and sticky – about 6-7 minutes. Turn off the heat and transfer to a warm bowl until you’re ready to assemble the gua bao.
4. Cook Bao Buns according to packet instructions.
5. Once the buns are cooked, open them up and stuff them with sticky pork belly, coriander, slices of red chillies, and strips of spring onions. Sprinkle on sesame seeds and chopped cashews, if using. Serve with sticky rice or Asian slaw.
We would like to thank Wild Thyme for using our meat to create this recipe. Wild Thyme offer a a bespoke, island-wide catering service which aims to give you complete confidence in the event you are planning. Their specialities include:
- Canapé Parties
- Boardroom Lunches
- Buffet Parties
- Private & Corporate Functions
- Special Occasions
- Private BBQ’s
- Drop-off Buffet’s
- Afternoon Teas
- Christmas Parties
- Private Dinners
- Shoot Lunches
- Staycation Package